Saturday, February 11, 2012

Restaurant Review: Venuu, Surry Hills.

The bargain of the year for top quality Italian, is right here.

Venuu is a hidden gem on Bourke St. in Surry Hills, a surprise to all those who find it. Tucked away in a courtyard that you would otherwise easily walk past by on the street, this Restaurant exceeded my expectations.

The first thing you will notice immediately is the friendly, welcoming smile from the staff, what a difference this makes to the first impression of an establishment. They even set up an extra table and seat when we informed them that another person would be coming along also.
Once we were settled down I went through their wine list (which is very good and with a number of great wines to choose from) and spotted this great Prosecco I decided to get:


2010 Bortolotti Prosecco ($44).

A great fizz with clean, precise pink lady apple and nashi pear characteristics complete with a dry, lingering finish. What else do you need to know? Get this wine when you go! Definitely get it as your aperitif or to go with this for your entree:


Salt and Pepper Calamari ($10).

A generous serve of golden brown, crunchy calamari in a brown paper cone served with lightly dressed leafy greens on the side. Simple and satisfying. The acidity from the prosecco cut through the salt and oil of the calamari perfectly.

One of my friends got this which I tried also:


Chorizo ($10 approx).

This Chorizo dish I found quite enjoyable. The Chorizo itself had a mild, smokey flavour to it while the salsa beneath it complimented the Chorizo well.


Prawn Risotto ($24 approx).

Didn't try this one, however my other friend said it was quite good. Looks good I think...


Duck Ragu Gnocchi ($19 approx).

Another of my friends got this one, which I tried also and I was impressed by how well done this meal was. I had ordered by this point a glass of the Yering Pinot and it was a perfect match with the small amount I tried. The Gnocchi and Ragu were cooked to perfection. This was a highlight for me.


'The Gypsy' ($24 approx).

I opted for a pizza. The combination of mushroom, capsicum and ham created a powerful mouth watering sensation for me and this was gone rather quickly. Great base, didn't leave me feeling bloated. I got chilli oil added to this which gave it a nice kick.


'Signature' Hot and Cold Brownie ($14 approx).

The menu said this is what they were famous for, so I was curious to try it...the rest of the night had gone well so it was just as well that this turned out to be a great way to round off everything prior. The combination of the hot, gooey chocolate brownie and the cool cream on top is a sensation to experience! A must try! I had this with a glass of their sweet Riseling and Sauvignon Blanc which again complimented it beautifully.

Overall, a very satisfying experience. As I said, for these prices and for this level of quality, quantity and service throughout the night, I will certainly be coming here again if I want great Italian. For seven of us, it came to only $317 including drinks. Bargain. I eat at places where I pay double and even triple just for myself and one other for the same quality as here.

I would rate it a 9/10. Seriously, it's that good. Go before they catch on they are worth far more than what they are actually charging.

1 comment:

  1. This is a great Venuu. We opted to dine al fresco but as it was located inside a courtyard, it was far enough from the humdrum of cars whizzing past. The result is a very peaceful and relaxed environment. I’m sure our table was the by far the rowdiest there, but the staff were very accommodating. The food was unbelievably good, at even more unbelievably low prices. Presentation is superb and the serving sizes were also generous. I was a bit put off by the pizzas, which were literally dripping with oil but my stomach didn't feel queasy at all after trying a slice.
    Recommended, but remember to book!

    ReplyDelete